Joined the Department in 2018
- B.Sc., Queen’s University, Canada, Biology
- M.A. University of Calgary, Canada, Anthropology (Primatology)
- Ph.D., 2015 University of British Columbia, Zoology
- Postdoctoral research, Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Biology, Germany
We study the processes of adaptation and speciation using hybrid zones and variation within single species. These systems are ideal for studying evolutionary processes; they allow us to concentrate on the early stages of speciation and work in natural contexts. Our work focuses specifically on the phenotypic and genetic basis of adaptation and speciation and is aided by recent advances in several fields. For example, we are very interested in the role differences in seasonal migration play in speciation and the genetic basis of this behaviour syndrome. Advances in animal movement ecology and genomic are allowing answer questions we never thought possible. Much of our work focuses on single systems but wherever possible we expand out into larger comparative work using data from museum specimens and sequence archives.
- Rennison, DJ, Delmore, KE, Samuk, K, Owens, GL, Miller, SE. Shared Patterns of Genome-Wide Differentiation Are More Strongly Predicted by Geography Than by Ecology. Am. Nat. 2020;195 (2):192-200. doi: 10.1086/706476. PubMed PMID:32017617 .
- Delmore, KE, Liedvogel, M. Avian Population Genomics Taking Off: Latest Findings and Future Prospects. Methods Mol. Biol. 2020;2090 :413-433. doi: 10.1007/978-1-0716-0199-0_17. PubMed PMID:31975177 .
- Delmore, KE, Lugo Ramos, JS, Van Doren, BM, Lundberg, M, Bensch, S, Irwin, DE et al.. Comparative analysis examining patterns of genomic differentiation across multiple episodes of population divergence in birds. Evol Lett. 2018;2 (2):76-87. doi: 10.1002/evl3.46. PubMed PMID:30283666 PubMed Central PMC6121856.
- Irwin, DE, Milá, B, Toews, DPL, Brelsford, A, Kenyon, HL, Porter, AN et al.. A comparison of genomic islands of differentiation across three young avian species pairs. Mol. Ecol. 2018;27 (23):4839-4855. doi: 10.1111/mec.14858. PubMed PMID:30187980 .
- Samuk, K, Owens, GL, Delmore, KE, Miller, SE, Rennison, DJ, Schluter, D et al.. Gene flow and selection interact to promote adaptive divergence in regions of low recombination. Mol. Ecol. 2017;26 (17):4378-4390. doi: 10.1111/mec.14226. PubMed PMID:28667780 .
- Lugo Ramos, JS, Delmore, KE, Liedvogel, M. Candidate genes for migration do not distinguish migratory and non-migratory birds. J. Comp. Physiol. A Neuroethol. Sens. Neural. Behav. Physiol. 2017;203 (6-7):383-397. doi: 10.1007/s00359-017-1184-6. PubMed PMID:28585043 PubMed Central PMC5522501.
- Toews, DPL, Delmore, KE, Osmond, MM, Taylor, PD, Irwin, DE. Migratory orientation in a narrow avian hybrid zone. PeerJ. 2017;5 :e3201. doi: 10.7717/peerj.3201. PubMed PMID:28439469 PubMed Central PMC5398278.
- Irwin, DE, Alcaide, M, Delmore, KE, Irwin, JH, Owens, GL. Recurrent selection explains parallel evolution of genomic regions of high relative but low absolute differentiation in a ring species. Mol. Ecol. 2016;25 (18):4488-507. doi: 10.1111/mec.13792. PubMed PMID:27484941 .
- Delmore, KE, Toews, DP, Germain, RR, Owens, GL, Irwin, DE. The Genetics of Seasonal Migration and Plumage Color. Curr. Biol. 2016;26 (16):2167-73. doi: 10.1016/j.cub.2016.06.015. PubMed PMID:27476599 .
- Delmore, KE, Liedvogel, M. Investigating Factors that Generate and Maintain Variation in Migratory Orientation: A Primer for Recent and Future Work. Front Behav Neurosci. 2016;10 :3. doi: 10.3389/fnbeh.2016.00003. PubMed PMID:26834592 PubMed Central PMC4720750.