Instructional Associate Professor
Joined the Department in 2006
- B.S. Biology, University of Texas at Austin
- Ph.D. Biology, Texas A&M University
- ΚΔ professor of the month, fall 2006
319. Integrated Human Anatomy and Physiology I. (3-3). Credit 4. I, S
Integrated approach to cellular, neural, skeletal, muscular anatomy and physiology; includes some histology, histopathology, radiology and clinical correlations. Prerequisites: BIOL 111 and 112, or BIOL 107
Prerequisites, be able to:
1. Explain cell biology basics such as what the mitochondrion is and does, etc.
2. Explain chemistry basics such as enzymes, acid/base, pH, etc.
3. Explain the physics of physiology such as refraction of light, pressure gradients, forces for movement.
4. Write with proper grammar and use digital media
5. Demonstrate how to use a light microscope
6. Solve arithmetic and algebraic problems
Learning outcomes, be able to:
1. Identify tissues and relate their structure to their physiology
2. Articulate structure and function of skin
3. Describe bone anatomy including the Action/Origin/Insertions (AOIs) of the major muscles
4. Explain the growth and developmental physiology of bone
5. Identify major muscles (and respective AOIs) of the human body using human models and cat dissection specimens.
6. Describe the physiology of muscle at the cellular and organ level
7. Explain the anatomy and physiology of the central and peripheral nervous system
- Jones, RA, Cohn, WB, Wilkes, AA, MacKenzie, DS. Negative feedback regulation of thyrotropin subunits and pituitary deiodinases in red drum, Sciaenops ocellatus. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2017;240 :19-26. doi: 10.1016/j.ygcen.2016.09.003. PubMed PMID:27597549 .
- Pasupuleti, S, Sule, N, Cohn, WB, MacKenzie, DS, Jayaraman, A, Manson, MD et al.. Chemotaxis of Escherichia coli to norepinephrine (NE) requires conversion of NE to 3,4-dihydroxymandelic acid. J Bacteriol. 2014;196 (23):3992-4000. doi: 10.1128/JB.02065-14. PubMed PMID:25182492 PubMed Central PMC4248876.
- Jones, RA, Cohn, WB, Miller, TC, Jaques, JT, Mackenzie, DS. Cyclic mRNA expression of thyrotropin subunits and deiodinases in red drum, Sciaenops ocellatus. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2013;194 :248-56. doi: 10.1016/j.ygcen.2013.09.017. PubMed PMID:24095808 .
- Hegde, M, Englert, DL, Schrock, S, Cohn, WB, Vogt, C, Wood, TK et al.. Chemotaxis to the quorum-sensing signal AI-2 requires the Tsr chemoreceptor and the periplasmic LsrB AI-2-binding protein. J Bacteriol. 2011;193 (3):768-73. doi: 10.1128/JB.01196-10. PubMed PMID:21097621 PubMed Central PMC3021223.
- Cohn, WB, Jones, RA, Valverde, RA, Leiner, KA, MacKenzie, DS. Molecular cloning and regulation of mRNA expression of the thyrotropin β and glycoprotein hormone α subunits in red drum, Sciaenops ocellatus. Fish Physiol Biochem. 2010;36 (4):1277-90. doi: 10.1007/s10695-010-9408-5. PubMed PMID:20563882 .
- Butler, AP, Cohn, WB, Mar, PK, Montgomery, RL. Regulation of ornithine decarboxylase mRNA by phorbol esters and insulin in normal and C-kinase-deficient rat hepatoma cells. J Cell Physiol. 1991;147 (2):256-64. doi: 10.1002/jcp.1041470210. PubMed PMID:2040659 .
- Jones RA (co-first author), Stoops SB (co-first author), Cohn WB, Richardson JK, Biology 319 Integrated Human Anatomy and Physiology 1st, 2nd, 3rd 4th and 5th Eds. (5th Ed. Spring 2020), Hayden-McNeil Publishing. Copyright, Department of Biology, Texas A&M University