Joined the Department in 2010
- B.A., 1977, Pomona College, Physics.
- Ph.D., 1983, Caltech, Biology.
- Postdoctoral research, University of California, San Diego.
- Previous faculty appointments: Rice University, Baylor College of Medicine, Howard Hughes Medical Institute.
Tissue size regulation, tissue cell composition, and fibrosing diseases
Our laboratory is working on three areas of biomedicine, trying to move observations from basic research into the clinic. First, we are studying how the sizes of tissues and tumors are regulated, and how this can be manipulated for therapeutic purposes. As a model system, we are using the simple eukaryote Dictyostelium discoideum, which allows us to combine techniques such as biochemistry, genetics, computer modeling, and cell biology to study tissue size regulation. We have found that a secreted protein as well as the unusual molecule polyphosphate are signals in negative feedback loops that inhibit Dictyostelium cell proliferation, and we are studying the signal transduction pathway to understand similar mechanisms in humans.
Second, we are studying how some secreted proteins can make cells move away from the source of the signal. We found such a signal (called a chemorepellent) in Dictyostelium, and then found a similar signal in humans. We are working to understand the signal transduction pathway for both. The human signal repels neutrophils, and we found that this can be used therapeutically in mouse models of neutrophil-driven diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and acute respiratory distress syndrome.
Third, we have found that a human blood protein called Serum Amyloid P (SAP) regulates a key step in the formation of scar tissue as well as the formation of the scar-like lesions in fibrosing diseases such as congestive heart failure and pulmonary fibrosis. We are studying this mechanism, and a biotech company (Promedior) we co-founded is testing SAP as a therapy for fibrosis in patients in two Phase 2 trials.
- Chen, W, Lamb, TM, Gomer, RH. TGF-β1 increases sialidase 3 expression in human lung epithelial cells by decreasing its degradation and upregulating its translation. Exp. Lung Res. ;46 (3-4):75-80. doi: 10.1080/01902148.2020.1733135. PubMed PMID:32102576 PubMed Central PMC7164658.
- Roife, D, Fleming, JB, Gomer, RH. Fibrocytes in the Tumor Microenvironment. Adv. Exp. Med. Biol. 2020;1224 :79-85. doi: 10.1007/978-3-030-35723-8_6. PubMed PMID:32036606 PubMed Central PMC7212529.
- Tang, Y, Gomer, RH. An improved shotgun antisense method for mutagenesis and gene identification. BioTechniques. 2020;68 (3):163-165. doi: 10.2144/btn-2019-0123. PubMed PMID:31973564 PubMed Central PMC7092706.
- Consalvo, KM, Rijal, R, Tang, Y, Kirolos, SA, Smith, MR, Gomer, RH et al.. Extracellular signaling in Dictyostelium. Int. J. Dev. Biol. 2019;63 (8-9-10):395-405. doi: 10.1387/ijdb.190259rg. PubMed PMID:31840778 PubMed Central PMC6986813.
- Karhadkar, TR, Chen, W, Gomer, RH. Attenuated pulmonary fibrosis in sialidase-3 knockout (Neu3-/-) mice. Am. J. Physiol. Lung Cell Mol. Physiol. 2020;318 (1):L165-L179. doi: 10.1152/ajplung.00275.2019. PubMed PMID:31617733 PubMed Central PMC6985870.
- Pilling, D, Cox, N, Thomson, MA, Karhadkar, TR, Gomer, RH. Serum Amyloid P and a Dendritic Cell-Specific Intercellular Adhesion Molecule-3-Grabbing Nonintegrin Ligand Inhibit High-Fat Diet-Induced Adipose Tissue and Liver Inflammation and Steatosis in Mice. Am. J. Pathol. 2019;189 (12):2400-2413. doi: 10.1016/j.ajpath.2019.08.005. PubMed PMID:31539521 PubMed Central PMC6902115.
- Gomer, RH. The Use of Diffusion Calculations and Monte Carlo Simulations to Understand the Behavior of Cells in Dictyostelium Communities. Comput Struct Biotechnol J. 2019;17 :684-688. doi: 10.1016/j.csbj.2019.06.002. PubMed PMID:31303972 PubMed Central PMC6603294.
- Suess, PM, Chinea, LE, Pilling, D, Gomer, RH. Extracellular Polyphosphate Promotes Macrophage and Fibrocyte Differentiation, Inhibits Leukocyte Proliferation, and Acts as a Chemotactic Agent for Neutrophils. J. Immunol. 2019;203 (2):493-499. doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.1801559. PubMed PMID:31160533 PubMed Central PMC6615990.
- Behrens, NE, Lipke, PN, Pilling, D, Gomer, RH, Klotz, SA. Serum Amyloid P Component Binds Fungal Surface Amyloid and Decreases Human Macrophage Phagocytosis and Secretion of Inflammatory Cytokines. mBio. 2019;10 (2):. doi: 10.1128/mBio.00218-19. PubMed PMID:30862745 PubMed Central PMC6414697.
- Suess, PM, Tang, Y, Gomer, RH. The putative G protein-coupled receptor GrlD mediates extracellular polyphosphate sensing in Dictyostelium discoideum. Mol. Biol. Cell. 2019;30 (9):1118-1128. doi: 10.1091/mbc.E18-10-0686. PubMed PMID:30785840 PubMed Central PMC6724513.